RPRA consulted on its Hazardous and Special Products (HSP) Supply Data Verification Procedure from Wednesday, June 1 to Wednesday, July 6, 2022. Producers of categories A (oil filters, non-refillable pressurized containers) and B (oil containers, antifreeze, solvents, paints and coatings, pesticides, refillable pressurized containers) will reference the procedure when submitting their first Supply Data Verification Report to RPRA in 2022.
Those directly affected were encouraged to submit feedback on the draft procedure to firstname.lastname@example.org by July 6, 2022. Additionally, RPRA hosted a webinar to discuss the proposed principles and methodologies used in the procedure. After the July 6 consultation closing date, RPRA continued to meet with stakeholders to expand on their feedback. RPRA considered all feedback received when finalizing the procedure. Review the documents:
- Final HSP Supply Data Verification Procedure
- Consultation Report
Based on feedback received and information gathered through the consultation period, the Authority made the following decisions:
- As the regulator responsible for enforcing the regulations under the RRCEA, RPRA’s Registrar is giving producers until the 2023 Supply Data Reporting deadline of July 31, 2023, to submit their first Verification Report of their 2022 data. The Registrar will consider producers in compliance if they can submit their first Verification Report by this date for their 2022 data. Producers are still required to submit their 2021 Supply Data Report by the October 31, 2022, deadline.
- To develop a separate verification procedure for HSP instead of combining with other programs (e.g., tires, batteries).
- All producers to be required to submit a one-time Verification Report in 2023.
- To consult on two producer categories (i.e., large and small producers) at a later date. As a result of the decision to defer the first Verification Report submission deadline, RPRA will consult on producer categories in 2024 rather than in 2023.
- Starting in 2024, only large producers will be required to submit a Verification Report and small producers will be subject to inspections.
Under the HSP Regulation, producers of oil filters, oil containers, antifreeze, solvents, paints and coatings, pesticides, and non-refillable and refillable pressurized containers are required to report new supply information to RPRA each year. Supply data for HSP materials can only be reported to RPRA by a producer in accordance with the Hazardous and Special Products Verification and Audit Procedure.
Starting in 2022, producers will need to submit a verification report to verify the supply data being reported to RPRA. Producers will need to work with a qualified person to complete a verification report to verify the supply data being submitted.