A Hazardous and Special Products (HSP) processor is a person who processes, for the purpose of resource recovery, HSP used by consumers in Ontario.
What are my obligations under the HSP Regulation?
Click the headings below to learn more about your obligations as an HSP processor.
HSP processors, also commonly referred to as a service provider, were required to register with the Authority by August 31, 2021. Producers, or PROs acting on their behalf, can only rely on service providers who are registered with the Authority.
To register, complete the registration form below and email it as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org.
2022 Interim Report for processors of Categories A, B and C
Starting in 2022, processors are required to submit a report that contains the recycling efficiency rate of each material at each of the processor’s facilities.
Processors must submit their 2022 Interim Report in accordance with the HSP Verification and Audit Registry Procedure.
Note: Processors of refillable propane containers and fertilizers are not required to submit an interim report in 2022.
Annual Performance Report
Beginning in 2023, processors are required to submit a separate annual performance report for each material they process (excluding fertilizers) and include the following information from the previous calendar year:
- The weight of material received from an HSP hauler and their name, contact information and RPRA registration number
- The weight of material received from a person other than an HSP hauler and their name and contact information and RPRA registration number
- The weight of recovered resources
- A list of the types of resources recovered
- The weight of materials processed from that type of HSP that were:
- Land disposed,
- Used as a fuel or a fuel supplement, or
- Stored, stockpiled, used as daily landfill cover or otherwise deposited on land
- The weight of material that was sent by the processor to another person for the purpose of making recovered resources and the types of products made by that other person
- The weight of any materials received from outside of Ontario
- The name, contact information and RPRA registration number of the PRO(s), if the processor belongs to a PRO(s) management system
The recycling efficiency rate at each processor’s facility (excluding pesticides) in accordance with the HSP Verification and Audit Procedure.
The 2023 performance report will include the months of October, November and December 2021 in addition to the 2022 calendar year.
Going forward, the report will include the information from the previous calendar year.
Beginning October 1, 2021, processors that accept more than 50 kilograms of HSP on a single day from a person who is not a hauler are required to keep records for a period of five years from the date of the record being created.
Processors must keep records that relate to the following:
- The person’s name and contact information
- The weight of material accepted on that day from that person
|Register with the Authority||*August 31, 2021|
|Submit 2022 Interim Report||July 31, 2022|
|Submit Annual Performance Report||July 31, 2023|
|*The deadline in the HSP Regulation for processor registration is July 31, 2021. The Authority recognized that additional time for registration was needed. Learn more.|
We are here to help you understand your requirements
To learn more about the HSP Regulation or to view past webinars and presentations, visit our Learning Series webpage on Understanding Ontario’s New Hazardous and Special Products Regulation.
If you have questions relating to the HSP Regulation, contact one of our Compliance and Registry Officers at email@example.com or 1-833-600-0530 for support.