The 2018 Blue Box Steward Funding Obligation has been set at $124.8 million, a 1 % increase from the $123.6 million obligation set for 2017. The Blue Box Steward Funding Obligation is the total amount that stewards must pay to municipalities for the Blue Box Program.
In addition to information on costs and amount of materials collected through the Blue Box program obtained through the annual municipal Datacall survey, the Authority considered a number of factors in determining the 2018 funding obligation, including:
- Cost Containment to reflect best practices in operating municipal waste diversion programs
- Evolving Tonne to reflect the lightweighting trend in packaging
- InKind Linage to reflect the share of promotion and education through newspapers using
- InKind linage attributable to the Blue Box program
- Non-Obligated Materials to reflect a portion of the costs to collect materials through the Blue
- Box program that are not mandated
- Three-Year Rolling Average Revenue to reflect volatile commodity prices
- Prior Year Adjustments to reflect any errors identified by the Authority in verifying and
- auditing Datacall information
Read the full news release: 2018 Blue Box Steward Funding Obligation News Release August 29 2017.