Under Ontario’s Hazardous Waste Program:
- A carrier is the operator of a waste transportation system, including any person who is engaged in the off-site transportation of waste by air, rail, road, highway or water.
- A receiver is the operator of any facility to which waste is transferred by a carrier. This includes transfer stations, processing facilities and final disposal sites.
Starting January 1, 2023, all information required to be reported under the Hazardous Waste Program and amended Regulation 347: General – Waste Management must be done through RPRA’s Hazardous Waste Program (HWP) Registry. The HWP Registry and mobile app, RPRA HazTrack, replace the HWIN (Hazardous Waste Information Network) system currently operated by the Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks and the use of paper manifests.
As of November 15, 2022, the Hazardous Waste Program Registry is open for carriers and receivers to set up their accounts, so they are prepared to meet their reporting requirements and begin manifesting electronically starting January 1. RPRA HazTrack is also available for download on app stores. Users will be able to login to the app as of November 15. Other app functionalities, such as manifesting, will not be available until January 1, 2023.
What do you need to know as a carrier or receiver?
Click the headings below to learn more about using the registry as a carrier or receiver.
As of January 1, 2023, you will not be able to ship or receive waste unless you have an account set up in the HWP Registry. You will need to create a registry account to:
- Be listed on a manifest as a receiver and/or carrier
- Create, edit and sign manifests
- Correct and complete manifests
- Sign manifests
For help with creating your account, check out these step-by-step instructions.
The HWP Registry’s mobile app, RPRA HazTrack, is compatible with Apple and Android.
The app will allow for carriers (and their drivers) and receivers to:
- View and sign manifests
- Create new manifests (“parts A and B”)
- Complete manifests (“part C”)
- Including accepting or refusing wastes
- Make corrections to the manifest
Note: Drivers will need to have access to the app while on the road to be able to sign off on waste pick-ups and acknowledge that they have delivered waste to the receiving site.
Users will be required to create an account in the HWP Registry (desktop version) before they can log in using the mobile app. The same username and password is used to access both the Registry and the mobile app.
For help with downloading or signing into the mobile app, check out this how-to video.
The amended Regulation 347: General – Waste Management clarifies that generators can delegate a service provider, also known as an “authorized generator delegate” or an “AGD”, to submit information to the registry on their behalf.
If you currently report Hazardous Waste Program information on behalf of generators, you will have to sign up as an AGD in the HWP Registry to continue to deliver these services.
There are two options for delegation: partial delegation and full delegation.
- If you are authorized as a full delegate, your generator client will not use the HWP Registry at all. You will set up your generator clients’ facilities under your AGD account and you will be invoiced for fees payable for these facilities.
- If you are authorized as a partial delegate, your generator client will set up their own registry account, including their facilities and waste stream information. While you can manage and report activities at these facilities, the generator will be invoiced directly by RPRA.
If you choose to act as an authorized generator delegate, you will need to have written authorization from that generator in place. Requirements for written authorizations are set out in the ministry’s proposed updated “Registration Guidance Manual for Generators of Liquid Industrial and Hazardous Waste”. The finalized manual will be posted later in 2022.
Registry resources and support
For help with navigating the registry and completing common activities, such as account creation, delegation, adding waste streams and manifesting, check out our training materials for receivers and carriers.
If you have a question related to the Hazardous Waste Program Registry, please contact our Registry Support Team at email@example.com or 1-833-600-0530.
For answers to frequently asked questions, explore our FAQs.