As of January 1, 2023, collection, management, and promotion and education requirements under the Electrical and Electronic Equipment (EEE) Regulation are in effect for lighting producers.
Learn more about your requirements below or visit our lighting producer webpage.
What are collection and management requirements?
Producers, or a producer responsibility organization (PRO) on their behalf, are required to do the following:
- establish and operate a collection system for lighting;
- ensure that consumers can drop off lighting free of charge at each site that is part of their collection system;
- meet other collection accessibility requirements; and
- establish and operate a system for managing lighting by determining and satisfying their management requirements for recovered resources, and materials that are not recovered.
To check your management obligation, log into your Registry account, download a copy of your 2022 Lighting Supply Report and review the section with your minimum management requirements for 2023.
What are promotion and education requirements?
Starting January 1, If the producer identifies an environmental handling fee in an advertisement, invoice, receipt or similar record in connection with the supply of lighting, they must provide the following information at the time the charge is identified:
- the person responsible for imposing the charge; and
- how the charge will be used to collect, reduce, reuse, recycled and recover lighting.
From January 1, 2023, to December 31, 2024, producers of lighting are required to:
- make reasonable efforts to raise public awareness of lighting recovery and reasonable efforts to encourage public participation; and
- publish information on their website about collection locations, collection services, and recovery activities.
How can producers meet their obligations?
Producers can meet their requirements on their own or they can choose to work with a PRO. A PRO is a business established to contract with producers to provide collection, management and administrative services to help producers meet their regulatory obligations under the EEE Regulation. Learn more about Lighting PROs.