RPRA’s Hazardous Waste Program Registry to open November 15, 2022
On November 15, 2022, RPRA’s Hazardous Waste Program (HWP) Registry will open for generators, carriers and receivers of industrial hazardous or liquid waste to set up their registry accounts, so they can prepare to meet their reporting requirements and start manifesting on January 1, 2023.
Starting January 1, obligated parties will be required to report on waste management activities, including manifesting, through the online HWP Registry instead of reporting through the Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Park’s Hazardous Waste Information Network (HWIN) and instead of using paper manifests. The HWP Registry includes an online reporting portal and electronic manifesting solution, as well as a mobile app to allow waste manifesting on the go.
RPRA will provide detailed information, including how to access and use the registry, ahead of November 15.
From HWIN to HWP Registry
The image below highlights the key changes as of January 1, 2023
For more information on the key changes and what to expect leading up to the launch of the new registry, check out materials from RPRA’s recent webinars about the HWP Registry. RPRA will be hosting more information sessions and providing comprehensive training on the new registry throughout the year to support future users in using the system, ahead of the launch.
Additionally, RPRA has started posting FAQs related to the registry to its website, including some of those key questions that were asked during the webinars. RPRA will continue to add FAQs based on questions received from stakeholders.
Do not wait until the end of the year to:
- Decide if you will be a delegate or want to delegate (more information about written authorizations for delegation will be made available later this year)
- Gather the generator numbers, HWIN usernames and ECA numbers for your business
- If currently an HWIN user, manage pre-paid account balances and ensure data in the system is accurate and up to date
- Contact RPRA if you are interested in integrating your internal system with the registry via an API (an Application Programming Interface)
- Visit RPRA’s Hazardous Waste Program Registry webpage for more information about the registry project or read RPRA’s latest news articles.
- If you have questions about your regulatory requirements, please contact the ministry at HWINmodernization@ontario.ca
- If you have questions regarding the new Hazardous Waste Program Registry, please contact RPRA at email@example.com