The Resource Productivity and Recovery Authority (RPRA) is continuing to develop materials and provide guidance ahead of the Hazardous Waste Program (HWP) Registry opening for account creation on November 15, 2022.
On November 15, generators, carriers, and receivers of industrial hazardous or liquid waste can set up their registry accounts and download the mobile app so they are prepared to meet their reporting requirements and start manifesting on January 1, 2023.
Starting January 1, the regulated community is required to report their waste management activities and pay fees through the HWP Registry instead of using paper manifests and the Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks’ Hazardous Waste Information Network (HWIN).
Here is what you can do now to prepare for November 15:
Sign up for a learning event
RPRA is hosting two generator-focused webinars to provide more information about the HWP Registry, delegation and how to get ready ahead of November 15. Sign up for a session below:
- September 15, 2022, 1:00 to 2:00 p.m. Sign up here
- September 20, 2022, 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. Sign up here
The same information will be presented at both sessions. Space is limited; however, we will be posting the presentation slides and recordings to our website for those who cannot attend.
Learn more about delegation and decide if you will delegate or be a delegate
The amended Regulation 347 clarifies that generators can delegate a service provider to submit information to the registry on the generator’s behalf. We call this type of service provider an “authorized generator delegate” or an “AGD”. See our FAQs related to delegation.
Service providers that currently report Hazardous Waste Program information on behalf of generators will have to be signed up as an AGD in the HWP Registry to continue to deliver these services.
If you choose to act as a delegate, the amended Regulation 347: General – Waste Management requires that a delegation written agreement be in place between the generator and the delegate starting January 1, 2023.
Requirements for written authorizations, if any, will be set out in the ministry’s revised “Registration Guidance Manual for Generators of Liquid Industrial and Hazardous Waste”, to be released later in 2022.
Generators and service providers are encouraged to talk to each other about delegation and determine if they would like to take part in delegation and if so, decide on full or partial delegation.
- If a generator chooses to fully delegate to a service provider, they will not have to use the HWP Registry. The service provider will set up their account and facilities under their AGD account and will be invoiced for fees payable for these facilities.
- If a generator chooses to partially delegate to a service provider, they will need to set up their own registry account, including facilities and waste stream information. While the AGD can manage and report activities at these facilities, the generator will be invoiced.
If you are a carrier or receiver and are interested in learning more about becoming an AGD, reach out to RPRA at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Gather information for account creation
Generators, carriers and receivers must set up their registry accounts ahead of January 1, 2023, in order to begin manifesting on January 1. Only hazardous waste from facilities and waste streams that are set up in the new registry can be shipped, stored, processed or disposed as of January 1.
Creating an account will be easy and straightforward. To make it easier, have the generator numbers, HWIN usernames and Environmental Compliance Approval (ECA) numbers for your business readily available on November 15.
Check out our additional resources
- Visit RPRA’s Hazardous Waste Program Registry webpage for more information about the registry project or read RPRA’s latest news articles
- Explore RPRA’s FAQs on the HWP Registry
- Review materials from previous learning events
- Watch a live demo of creating a manifest on the mobile app
- If you have questions regarding the new Hazardous Waste Program Registry, please contact RPRA at email@example.com
- If you have questions about your regulatory requirements, please contact the ministry at HWINmodernization@ontario.ca