RPRA’s Hazardous Waste Program (HWP) Registry is now open!
Starting today, generators, carriers, and receivers of hazardous and liquid industrial waste can set up their registry accounts, so they are ready to meet their reporting requirements and begin manifesting on January 1, 2023.
As of January 1, the regulated community is required to report hazardous waste management activities and pay fees through the new digital HWP Registry built and operated by RPRA instead of using paper manifests and the Hazardous Waste Information Network (HWIN) system currently operated by the Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks.
The mobile app, RPRA HazTrack, is also now available for download through the Apple APP Store and Google Play Store. Users have to first create an account in the HWP Registry before they can login to the app. Other app functionalities, such as manifesting, will not be available until January 1.
Account set–up is easy and straightforward
The HWP Registry and the mobile app were built and tested by RPRA staff, ministry staff, industry stakeholders and external technology vendors to be efficient and user-friendly. To set up an account, follow the steps below:
- Go to registry.rpra.ca
- Click the Create New Account link if you do not already have a registry account
- Enter your business contact information
- Enroll in the Hazardous Waste Program Registry as a generator, carrier, receiver or Authorized Generator Delegate (AGD). An email will then be sent with instructions to activate your account
Starting today, generators and AGDs will be able to:
- create new waste facilities or link existing HWIN sites to their account
- add waste information or link existing HWIN waste streams to their facilities
Check out these step-by-step instructions for account creation and retrieving HWIN data.
Also starting today, carriers and receivers will be able to link existing environmental compliance approval (ECA) numbers to their account. Check out this “how-to” video to link your ECA numbers.
Do I need to create a registry account?
If you are subject to Ontario’s Hazardous Waste Program, you will need to create a registry account. Only hazardous waste from facilities and waste streams that are set up in the new registry can be shipped, stored, processed, or disposed of, as of January 1. Generators, carriers and receivers must have an account in the new registry to be listed on a manifest, create, edit or sign manifests, or report on-site waste activities, among other things.
If you are a generator who is fully delegating to a service provider (known as an AGD) to submit information to the registry on your behalf, you will not have to create an account or use the registry. The AGD will set up your account and facilities under their account and you will be invoiced by the AGD for fees payable for those facilities. See FAQs related to delegation, as well as training materials.
Have questions about using the new registry?
We have developed many resources to support you in navigating the online system and completing common activities, such as account creation, delegation, adding waste streams and manifesting. Resources include:
- role-based training materials includes step-by-instructions, “how-to” videos, simulations or practice scenarios and quick reference supports
- answers to frequently asked questions
- materials from previous learning events, such as webinar recordings and presentation slides
- the HWP Registry webpage houses more information about the new system and additional resources
- RPRA’s Registry Support Team can answer any questions you might have about the HWP Registry and the RPRA HazTrack app. They can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or toll free at 1-833-600-0530.
Have questions about your regulatory requirements?
Please contact the ministry at HazardousWasteProgram@ontario.ca